MongoDB is an open-source cross-platform document based database program and developed by MongoDB Inc. It is a leading NoSQL database uses JSON-like documents with schemas. MongoDB is written in C++.
MongoDB Inc (10gen changed its name to MongoDB Inc in 2013) began developing MongoDB in 2007. In 2009, MongoDB Inc shifted to an open source development model, with the company offering commercial support and other services.
Features and Advantages of MongoDB
1. Provides high performance – Support for embedded data models reduces I/O activity on database system. Indexes support faster queries and can include keys from embedded documents and arrays.
2. You can index any field in a document.
3. Replication and high availability – MongoDB supports Master Slave replication. MongoDB’s replication facility, called replica set, provides automatic failover and data redundancy.
4. Load balancing – It has an automatic load balancing configuration because of data placed in shards.
5. Uses internal memory for storing the working set, enabling faster access of data.
6. It is a schema-less database written in C++.
7. You can search by field, range query and it also supports regular expression searches.
8. Easy to administer in the case of failures.
9. Data is stored in the form of JSON style documents.
10. Auto-sharding for horizontal scalability
11. Map reduce and aggregation tools.
13. Fast in-place updates
14. Professional support by MongoDB
- Data Modelling
- Create and Drop Database
- The mongo Shell
- MongoDB CRUD Operations
- Text Search
- Backup and Restore
- Advanced MongoDB